The Tioughnioga River Site of a large Indian Village. A favorite stopping place of early pioneers.
Clinton ave. in Cortland
Here David Moss and James Lockwood made first campfire April 1792 and made friends with the Indians
Town rd. near Cuyler
Thomas Gould Alvord, Sr. Built his cabin here in 1794 on land granted for services in Revolutionary War
Intersection NYS 41 & 41A
Techiroguen: visited by LeMoyne 1654: and by La Salle 1673
US 11 at Brewerton, Bennett St., just before Brewerton Bridge
Hiawatha Lodge
Named by J. Griffin – who was adopted by Onondaga Indians and named Hiawatha II. Built by M. Waterhouse in 1830’s. / Present Owner – George Bump / Clay Bicentennial Comm. 1976
Between Clay and Liverpool on Henry Clay Boulevard
Site of Indian Village and Stockade Enclosing about Ten Acres, With Forty Additional Acres Adjoining Under Cultivation, Located Just East of this Place Burned by the Indians at the Time of Frontenac’s Invasion Aug. 3, 1696 Site of Father Lamberville’s Mass
NYS 91 about 1 mile S of Jamesville. East side, 1.1 mile S of NYS 20N&173
The northeast shore of Onondaga Lake has traditionally been recognized as the site of the founding of the Iroquois Confederacy in the late 16th century. Hiawatha, revered by the Iroquois as “the Peacemaker,” was responsible for brining together the Five Nations in a political and military league. The Confederation allowed the Iroquois to develop the most sophisticated political system in North America by the time European colonization began. The military power of the Iroquois expanded as well. At its peak in the late 17th century, the Confederacy was able to assert itself over native peoples from New England to the Mississippi and from the St. Lawrence Valley to Virginia. The Iroquois remained a significant power in North America until their defeat in the American Revolution. The strength of the Confederacy forged by Hiawatha is still evident. Despite military defeat and the loss of their lands, the Iroquois nations continue to hold council in Onondaga County as they have for nearly 400 years.
Onondaga Parkwaywalking trail, 1 mile from the start at the SaltMuseum.
First Settler
The home of the first white settler in the township of Lysander, Jonathan Palmer, Revolutionary Soldier, was built on this site, 1793.
Co. Rd.at Jacksonville
Log Cabin Site
Jonas C. Baldwin, Founder of Baldwinsville, built the first log cabin on the north side of the river near this spot in 1807.
Intersection of Charlotte st. and West Genesee St.
Deep Spring
Te-Ungh-sat-ayagh 450 ft. north of Iroquois Trail. First road made 1790 by General James Wadworth. CountyLine and Survey Mark.
NYS 173 at the Madison & Onondaga County Line
Nedrow c. 1798
Known as OnondagaCastle until 1897. Renamed Rockwell Springs for the Sulphur Spring & Picnic Area. Nedrow P.O. est’d 1917. Town of Onondaga. 1997.
Nedrow, corner next to Fire Department
Indian War Stone
Grindstone of the Onondaga Indians. Used to sharpen arrows and spears at Indian Hill until 1666. Moved to Lemoyne Park Pompey, 1905.
S side of Academy St., .15mile E of NYS 91, 150 feet E of church
Oran
Settled in 1793 by the Barnes Brothers, Asa, Rosewell, and Phineas. Came here with their families from Massachusetts.
NYS 92 & NYS 20N at Oran
Roman Catholic
Mission Church first in Pompey was located here, 1857-1866. Father James Cahill, first priest
Town Rd.at Pompey
Jesuit Well
Thought to have been used by the Jesuit Missionaries of whom Father LeMoyne was the first visitor in 1654. Called Bitter Spring by the Onondaga
NYS 57N of Syracuse in OnondagaLakePark. East side 1.3 miles N
Onondaga Salt Spring
In 1654, Father Simon LeMoyne arrived in the village of the Onondaga where he spent — days among the Indians. Before returning to Quebec, he stopped along the southern shore of LakeGanatatahn – now Onondaga – to choose a site for a French mission. Here he tasted water from a spring which the Onondagas believed be fouled by an evil spirit. Finding it to be a salt water spring. LeMoyne made some salt, A sample of which he carried back to Quebec. Commercial salt production on the lakeshore Began in 1793. Many years later, the Erie Canal was known as “The Ditch Salt Built”. Salt being A major commodity transported on the canal. The last salt produced in this area was in 1926. Nearby Syracuse is nicknamed “The Salt City”.
on Onondaga Lake Parkway , just before the Railroad bridge when coming from Carousel Mall.
Col. Van Schaick
Crossed Onondaga Creek Here on Way to Indian Villages to the South, April 21, 1779
Colvin St.at Onondaga Creek
Handsome Lake
Ga-Nyah-Di-Yoh Author of present Indian religion born at Ca-Noh-Wa-Gus Genesee Co., N.Y. 1735 Died Aug. 10, 1815 at Onondaga Reservation
opposite the Council House on the reservation
Kana-Ta-Go-Wah
(Big Village near the Council House) Large Iroquois-Onondaga village located on east bank of Onondaga Creek and extending to this site-Onondaga Indians began to settle here after the burning of Onondaga village in Fronteac’s Invasion of 1696 From 1720 known as LowerOnondagaVillage and the Seat of the Iroquois Confederacy Connasatego (Black Prince), Caghs-Wuti-Chiand ts-Chini-Chiata Lived Here. Visited by Moravian Missionaries in 1745
on US 11 (South Salina St.), East side opposite #5900, about 35 feet S ofpoint of Dorwin Ave.
Ka-Ne-En-Da
The only pre-colonial Iroquois village site on OnondagaLake, Located on lake front north of this place- Iroquois pottery with human Faces. 1570-1620, found here, but not elsewhere around
Hiawatha Blvd. Nside, .7 mile NE of NYS 48 (State Fair Blvd.), .4 mile SW of N. Salina St.
Onondaga Indians
In 1793, out of a total population of 33 inhabitants in the village of Salina, 30 persons were sick. The remaining three inhabitants, with the help of friendly Onondaga Indians, took care of the sick for two months. In the Following year the population had grown to 63 persons, of whom 23 died that year.
intersection of Erie Blvd. E and Oswego Blvd.
Site of
Halfway Tavern 1814-34: Stopping place for stage and for Oudiaga, Indian Runner, first mail carrier between Syracuse and Oswego
1.3 mile N of Kellogg Rd., 1 mile S of Lawson Rd
Cherry Valley Turnpike
Terminated here: Completed about 1809, joining the Seneca Turnpike here
On Academy St. in Manlius
Indian Hill
Was the home of the Onondaga Indians. Large population lived here in 1655.
On Indian Hill Rd. .6 miles west of Pompey Center Rd.
Indian Hill
In a bark chapel on this spot The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass was first offered in New YorkState by Rev. Joseph . Chaumonot Sunday 14, November 1655 Going Therefore TeachYe all Nations Baptising Them in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost Teaching them to Observe all things whatsoever have commanded you St. Matthew XXVII 19-20 Erected by the Order of the LAlhambra Anno Domini- MCMSVII
at Indian Hill
Here Bishop Frederic Cammerhoff
And David Zeisberger, Moravian Missionaries, Built the Pilgrims Hut At St. John’s each on St. John Baptist’s Day 1750 Shelter on this Site 1750 Here Also Col. Gansevoort’s Hundred Men Bearing the American Flag Rested September 22, 1779 On Their Eastward March From Sullivan’s Army.
Erected 1915 By the Onondaga Historical Society Location: on St. James’ Church
on St. James Church
Site of
Indian Attack on Col. Van Schaick’s Expedition against the Onondagas April 21, 1779
at Onondaga Park
Sullivan and Clinton
Observance of the Revolutionary War Campaign Against Indians [Map shows the route the Sullivan and Clinton campaign took through New YorkState and where specific incidents happened.]
2307 Valley Drive
The Iroquois Trail
Crossed here for several centuries theGreat Indian Highway east and west, used by the Dutch in 1634, by the Jesuit Missionaries, by Sir William Johnson and by Asa Danforth the Onondaga Pioneer, carrying on his back the saw for the first sawmill in Central New York
US Rte 11 (South Salina Street), 50 feet N of hydrant in front of #5571. East side.
Where the Indian Trail
Crossed the creek (34 rods west) on May 24, 1788 landing a crude boat Major Asa Danforth and his noble wife Hannah Wheeler Danforth builded the first Christian home in this county.
South Salina St.directly across from HeathPark.
Near This Spot
Samuel de Champlain on October 8, 1615 Crossed the River and Discovered Oneida Lake
US Rte 11 at Brewerton
Treasure Island
French Colonists camped on island in escaping from Onondaga Indians in 1658. Said to have lightened their war chests and deposited cannon and gold here.
N 43 13.194 W 076 17.523
Kuh-Na-Ta-Ha
Indian Fishing Village 1654 Known to the Indians as “Place of Tall Pines” Discovered by Father Le Moyne
NY Rte 57 at Phoenix
This map shows the locations of each marker, it is still a work in progress as we continue our research in this project.

