The Haudenosaunee Confederacy was formed on the shores of Onondaga Lake over a thousand years ago. The lake continues to play a central role in the spiritual life of the Onondaga Nation. Just north of Syracuse, Onondaga Lake is one of the most chemically-polluted lakes in the world. Read Onondaga Nation’s Vision for a Clean Onondaga Lake.
A Better Future for Onondaga Lake – Advocate for a more inclusive hearing regarding Onondaga County developing a beach on the lake
On July 17, 2017, NOON submitted detailed comments on the proposed Natural Resource Damages Plan for Onondaga Lake. Highlights of the comments include:
- More community input into the process
- An unprecedented remediation plan, to match the unprecedented pollution of the lake
- Incorporation of the Onondaga Nation’s Vision for a Clean Onondaga Lake
- Removal of waste before the creation of more trails
- A plan for lower Onondaga Creek to make it a community resource and alleviate flood concerns
- The development by NOON, in consultation with the Onondaga Nation, of a series of Informational Kiosks about Onondaga history and culture
- Greater natural restoration along the lake
- A commitment to developing safe subsistence fishing
The full document can be found here as a pdf file.