Armistice Day 2022 Commemoration
LIFE-AFFIRMING ALTERNATIVES TO WAR AND MILITARISM
Friday, November 11, 2022
Billings Park (S Salina & E Adams St, Syracuse, NY 13202)
Download the poster.
Read the Letter to the Editor by Ron Van Norstrand
Share the Facebook event
Listen to what the moment of the armistice sounded like.
The 11th day of the 11th month was originally designated by Congress as “a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated” – it was the day that World War I ended. Join veterans and the community at Billings Park for a short program commemorating the true intent of this day and offering life-affirming alternatives to war and militarism
We will ring bells, followed by a traditional moment of silence at 11:00 am on the 11th day of the 11th month, to honor the true purpose of Armistice Day renewing our commitment to work to end all wars and to foster justice and peace, at home and abroad.
Please bring handbells if you have them!
For more information contact: email@example.com at (315) 247-7040
Organized by Veterans For Peace and Beyond War and Militarism (a committee of the Syracuse Peace Council and CNY Solidarity Coalition).
More on Armistice Day:
- The sound of the moment of the Armistice. A sound company approximated the sounds of the moment of the Armistice by using the technology of the time to give their best guess as to what it sounded like. Powerful – the sounds of war becoming the sounds of peace.
- The sound itself. (1 minute)
- How the sound company approximated the sound.
- An animation on sound ranging and the end of war. Starts off geeky, ends in an understated way that is very powerful.
- Militarism and Climate Brochure by Veterans for Peace.