Action steps for ensuring we never again see a nuclear weapons disaster:
- Learn more about and endorse the “Back from the Brink Campaign” at preventnuclearwar.org
- Ask your faith community or other organizations you are part of to consider endorsing “Back from the Brink.” Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for a presentation.
- “Don’t Bank on the Bomb” – join this national divestment campaign. Read more about local divestment action.
- Contact your congressional representatives to urge the Biden Administration to immediately start negotiating an extension of the NEW Start Nuclear Arms Treaty. This last remaining nuclear arms treaty between he U.S. and Russia is set to expire in February of 2021. See a sample letter here.
- Senator Chuck Schumer at schumer.senate.gov/contact/email-chuck or 315-423-5471.
- Senator Kirsten Gilibrand at gillibrand.senate.gov/contact/email-me or 315-448-0470
- Representative Brandon Williams at https://brandonwilliams.house.gov/contact/ or (315) 233-4333
Support the Restricting First Use of Nuclear Weapons Act
On Jan. 24, 2017, Senator Ed Markey (D-MA) and Representative Ted Lieu (D-Los Angeles County) introduced THE RESTRICTING FIRST USE OF NUCLEAR WEAPONS ACT OF 2017, S 200; HR 669.
What many people don’t know is that the US still has a first use nuclear weapons policy, and nuclear weapons could be launched within 12 minutes if the president completely independently decides to do so. At present the president has sole authority to make a nuclear first-strike. This bill would require Congress to declare war before nuclear weapons could be launched. As you can imagine, this is more important than ever under this administration. Read more…
What you can do
2. Call our Federal Representatives and urge them to support the Restricting First Use of Nuclear Weapons Act of 2017:
Rep. Katko: 202-225-3701 (DC); or 315-423-5657 (Syracuse)
Sen. Schumer: 202-224-6542; 315-423-5471
Sen. Gillibrand has already signed on, partly as a result of our efforts!
Thank her for taking a stand: 202-224-4451; 315-448-0478
Support the No Unconstitutional Strike Against North Korea Act
We are also petitioning to support the Conyers-Markey bill to prevent an unconstitutional first strike against North Korea. Download and circulate the petition.