We call on the U.S. government to use diplomacy at all levels to end the war in Ukraine, recognizing that:
- Extreme harms are accruing from the war including loss of life, displacement of refugees, economic devastation, environmental degradation, acceleration of climate change, and global food and energy shortages.
- Supplying ever more weapons to Ukraine in the belief that the war is “winnable” increases the risks of a wider war as well as nuclear disaster.
- While the invasion of Russia is unjustifiable, U.S./NATO expansion into the region has contributed to a dangerous proxy war between two nuclear powers, the U.S. and Russia.
Further, we call on Congress and the President to:
- call for an immediate cease fire.
- ask for neutral parties such as the U.N., or the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe to lead negotiations.
- urgently engage in negotiations to reduce the threat of nuclear disaster and address the security concerns of all parties.
- restore cuts to the State Department to emphasize diplomacy and humanitarian aid.
- implement the policy proposals of the Back from the Brink Campaign: (Back from the Brink Campaign to Prevent Nuclear War).
Please sign the petition to tell Congress to:
Stop the War in Ukraine; Prevent Nuclear Catastrophe
We call on the U.S. government to use diplomacy at all levels to end the war in Ukraine, call for an immediate cease fire, and implement the policy proposals of the Back from the Brink Campaign to Prevent Nuclear War:
- Adopt a policy of no first use of nuclear weapons.
- End the President’s sole unchecked authority to initiate a nuclear attack.
- Take nuclear weapons off hair-trigger alert.
- Cancel the program–already underway–plan to replace our country’s entire nuclear arsenal at a cost of $1.7 trillion.
- Initiate multilateral negotiations to adopt the U.N. Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons.
Ways you can help
Share this page & petition with everyone you know! Print out a petition to collect signatures in person.