Protect our Civil Liberties from Drone Surveillance
SPC has presented a Resolution to the Syracuse Common Council to prevent the warrantless, unregulated use of drones by City of Syracuse agencies. It's purpose is to protect our civil liberties. We need your support to make this happen! (Click here to read the resolution)
1) Come to the Syracuse Common Council Meetings on Mon., Dec. 16.
- Noon - brief study session with last minute concerns. Then a short recess.
- 1 pm - regular meeting, which includes the vote.
Common Council Chambers, 3rd floor, Syracuse City Hall (233 E. Washington St., downtown Syracuse).
2) Contact your Councilor and express your support for the Resolution. The Councilors will not receive a copy of the Resolution until Tuesday evening. See the Councilor’s contact information below. Click here to learn the district you’re in. Any Syracusan can call the Councilors at Large or the President of the Common Council.
- The use of drones by City agencies may result in a large amount of data being available to the City, which because of the lack of regulations, could be mined in a way that could reveal personal information not lawfully available without a judicial warrant. The Resolution is asking that drones not be used by any City agency until federal, state and local regulations are in place protecting our privacy as guaranteed by the First and Fourth Amendments of the Constitution.
- Data collected by surveillance drones could violate civil liberty rights such as:
--freedom of association and assembly
--equal protection and judicial due process
Let us know how your call went! (315) 472-5478
Councilors at Large
(represent all of Syracuse)
Jean Kessner 448-8466; 475-3518(h); firstname.lastname@example.org
She is the Resolution’s sponsor, so calls to her could thank her for sponsoring it.
Kathleen Joy 448-8466; 432-0943 (h); email@example.com
Helen Hudson 448-8466; firstname.lastname@example.org
Lance Denno 448-8466; 413-5013 (h); email@example.com
Councilors by District
To learn the district you’re in: tinyurl.com/syrdistrict
District 1 Jake Barrett 448-8466; firstname.lastname@example.org
District 2 Patrick Hogan 448-8466; 468-3880 (h); email@example.com
District 3 Robert Dougherty 448-8466; 956-5544 (h); firstname.lastname@example.org
District 4 Khalid Bey 448-8466; email@example.com
District 5 Nader Maroun 448-8466; 727-7007 (h); firstname.lastname@example.org
Ways to Get Involved
A big thank you to everyone who made our 43rd Annual Plowshares a success! Thank you to the crafters, the all-volunteer Plowshares Committee and to everyone who attended this beautiful event.
If you want to contact a crafter or an organization you saw at Plowshares, here's a link to the list. Also, the Peace Council still has some calendars, some EcoJarz, and a few other items for sale, if you missed out. Contact us to purchase: (315) 472-5478. If you'd like to apply to be in next year's fair, please email email@example.com.
SPC In Action
Paul St. Amand with VFP flag and Syracuse Peace Council members protest VP Dick Cheney at Ft. Drum in December 2005.
- 1 of 10